How much is science and how much is fiction?

All things which do not fit into other areas.

Moderators: Serenity, Laura

Postby rantanplan » Tue 26. Aug 2008, 17:23

i haven ot time to read all for the moment, but it's a good website!!

thanks for share here! hope to see you in some other post... .

bye!
rantanplan
X2

Re: Science behind Dark Angel

Postby Saahm23 » Tue 26. Aug 2008, 18:19

Thxs for sharing this website with us Jerry, welcome among us btw ^^
I did a sneak peak and find it really interesting, deffo wanna read more intensive later.
Saahm23
Network Admin

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Tue 26. Aug 2008, 18:21

same here
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby jondy09 » Wed 27. Aug 2008, 02:27

on the subject of hover drones (on jerry's site) the UK had something very similar in the works... it is a cool site... i'd buy some gene therpay to make me similar to an x5, the idea of inserting genes into a grown person is interesting
NEW CHAPTER

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3763434/1/C ... he_Damned- AU 2009: After a failed escape attempt the remains of unit 12 are hauled off to Psy-ops each emerges as the 'perfect soldier'. It's about their struggle to regain their humanity after the horrors of Psy-ops...review! 3 chapters up!
jondy09
Psy-Ops

Postby rantanplan » Wed 27. Aug 2008, 13:32

the idea of inserting genes into a grown person is interesting

prodigy. :D.

And for modifications of appearence ? Cause if you insert some animal dna in a human embryon, the child could have a morphology hybrid, a little like joshua... .

About the drone... . wow... . I don't like that, the fact that you could be observed 24h/24... .

bye!
rantanplan
X2

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Wed 27. Aug 2008, 23:44

About the drone... . wow... . I don't like that, the fact that you could be observed 24h/24...

thats true... theres a part in my dark angel assignment about that too:

Police states are authoritarian, and are often dictatorship but even with democracy; there still can be a Police state. The South African apartheid system is generally considered to have been a police state despite having been nominally a democracy. Nazi Germany, a dictatorship, was, at least initially, brought into being through a so-called democracy. Many social critics believe that the United Kingdom and the United States are heading in the direction of becoming police states with the passage of laws such as the USA PATRIOT Act and the Military Commissions Act of 2006 [ 2 ]. Many feel that anti-terror legislation is a cover up in order for the UK and USA to become Police states and hold absolute authority over their citizens. In fact, even though being totally democratic, Dark Angel’s Seattle IS a Police state. They actually have Police hover drones that monitor and watch everyone 24/7
( http://www.eyes-only-online.net/gallery ... ?pos=-2202 ). Similar technology is already being used, in the present time, in Miami-Dade, Florida and Houston, Texas police departments. [ 3 ]

http://dvice.com/archives/2007/11/honey ... cle_po.php
http://www.darkangel-network.com/viewto ... t&start=30
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby rantanplan » Thu 28. Aug 2008, 02:02

wow!! and they already use that!! your pic is... unbelievable... .

what about citizens who notice that ?

bye!
rantanplan
X2

Postby rantanplan » Thu 28. Aug 2008, 02:11

my god!! i didn't know that! they abuse with that.... i prefer never see that in my country... . could we again speak to a free country?

bye!
rantanplan
X2

Postby X5DNA » Thu 28. Aug 2008, 03:25

To me, one of the scariest things about the possibility of an EMP attack is that government systems that are considered to be critical are protected against EMP, while the private civilian sector is almost completely unprotected.

The first casualty of an EMP attack is likely to be personal freedom. It's not difficult to have some personal protection against EMP in the form of things like a cheap shortwave radio wrapped in aluminum foil -- and an old laptop computer wrapped in aluminum foil.

At least with a protected radio that can receive distant broadcasts, you'll have some idea of what is going on.

(I keep a cheap portable shortwave radio, one that I bought at Radio Shack several years ago, wrapped in aluminum foil, and I have extra batteries for it on hand.)

You don't have to be paranoid, just somewhat prepared.

One of the first problems after an EMP attack will be that most people will have no idea of what has just happened. If a small, but significant, percentage of the population had some understanding of what was happening (and had done some preparation for such an attack), then the aftermath would be a lot less unpleasant for everyone.

The extreme vulnerability of civilian populations in industrialized countries, especially the United States, makes for a very tempting target.

Jerry
http://www.X5DNA.com
X5DNA
Sector Cop

Postby rantanplan » Thu 28. Aug 2008, 09:23

computers governments are protected in special place which can not be attack by bombs are EMP... . So the scenario in DA is impossible, cause there will always be some computers running... .

For the aluminium foil, it's possible, if there is not tear on your paper, but i think you need to connect that to the ground... .
For your radio, think to the fact of your batteries will not running for a long time, if you keep them discharged for a moment... . Always stock your battery with charge ;).

No, i don't think it will be useful a day... . I don't really think we'll have an attack like in DA. Now, if we had one, and your radio running always, could you use it, i think you can't use it if in your country there is no running technology. :). Or you need to move away... .

One of the first problems after an EMP attack will be that most people will have no idea of what has just happened. If a small, but significant, percentage of the population had some understanding of what was happening (and had done some preparation for such an attack), then the aftermath would be a lot less unpleasant for everyone.

right. But i think if there is something like that, we'll heard all and nothing about what happen. "aliens come here", "government do some tests on the city", "the end of the world coming"... . An EMP will probably just a suposition between a lot of another... . And probably not the one that people believe the most, cause it's not something celeb like a government's mistake or an extra terrestrial attack :).

The extreme vulnerability of civilian populations in industrialized countries, especially the United States, makes for a very tempting target.

Are you crazy ? you mustn't tell that here!! caz' could read you!!! lol.

bye!
rantanplan
X2

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Thu 28. Aug 2008, 13:16

To me, one of the scariest things about the possibility of an EMP attack is that government systems that are considered to be critical are protected against EMP, while the private civilian sector is almost completely unprotected.

the emp is impossible to happen (at least on the dark angel scale anyway)
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby rantanplan » Thu 28. Aug 2008, 15:59

i'm ok with that!

they can do a emp, but not like we see in the show. During a war, for example, they can paralyse ennemies's system with a sort of emp... . But it's not as disasters as in DA... .

I've read that the lightning is a sort of emp too, cause it can cause dysfonctionement in electronic/electric system :).

bye!
rantanplan
X2

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Thu 28. Aug 2008, 16:30

all true
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby X5DNA » Fri 29. Aug 2008, 01:37

Some comments about previous posts about EMP:

Yes. Lightning is a form of electromagnetic pulse, but nuclear EMP is much faster. In fact, when you protect an antenna or power line from EMP, you first use conventional lightning protectors, then you add the faster reacting EMP protectors between the lightning protectors and the equipment.

There is a company called Polyphaser that supplies the majority of the antenna lightning protectors for commercial communications systems. Polyphaser also supplies most of the EMP protectors for defense contractors.

I've spent the last 30 years working on mountaintop transmitting and receiving sites for broadcasting companies. That's probably why I'm more concerned than most people about what EMP can do. I've seen remarkable amounts of destruction in electronics devices from distant lightning strikes. I've seen those same devices work perfectly during violent thunderstorms after they were properly protected.

I have a close relative who is an electronics engineer for a defense contractor. Nearly everything they do has to be EMP protected. The military seems to be getting increasingly concerned about the problem.

There is at least one EMP testing facility in the city where I live. It is just for testing smaller electronics systems. There is a very large one called Trestle in New Mexico that is big enough to test aircraft for EMP resistance. There is a link from my X5DNA.com site to an interesting youtube video of a Ford Taurus getting pulsed at the Trestle test site.

There are a lot of nonsense videos about EMP on youtube, but the ones from the Discovery Channel FutureWeapons series are quite accurate.

Nuclear EMPs covering a thousand mile-radius have already occurred. Fortunately they occurred in sparsely populated areas, and before the era of integrated circuits. In 1962, virtually everything was what we would now call EMP-resistant, but in 1962 both the United States and the old Soviet Union did a lot of electrical damage (over very large areas) by setting off nuclear weapons in space. Both countries did it at about the same time, and both got a real surprise when it happened.

About EMP protected portable radios: The last time that I took my shortwave radio out of its aluminum shield, I was clearly receiving the English-language broadcast of Radio Taiwan in less than a minute. It was coming from the opposite side of the planet from me. A nuclear EMP would disrupt shortwave broadcasts for a few hours, but distant reception would soon return to normal.

Grounding is useful for protection of most things, but it is not necessary for things like portable radios and portable computers.

Jerry
http://www.X5DNA.com
X5DNA
Sector Cop

PreviousNext

Return to General Things