ethic/social implications of Dark Angel

All things which do not fit into other areas.

Moderators: Serenity, Laura

Postby moonlitestar » Sat 26. Jan 2008, 06:12

lol i need to head SOUTH. at least in the day after tomorrow, you freeze to death, as opposed to burning to death. less painful lol.

If we're heading down DA's path, I'm not sure I'd want to stay in the US, lol. It becomes so corrupt! I'd rather go someplace neutral and...still in order. Course, we don't know which of those countries would be like that...since DA never featured that.

haha, a year and a half from now, we'll be able to say the pulse didn't happen. Until then, who knows...there's still a chance! da could have some ounce of truth afterall...not that that'd be a good thing...right...?

For me, I decided to go for the middle of the road with regards to global warming. I will say it's a bit of both. A natural process in the Earth, but also accelerated by pollution. Still, I don't think there's anything we could really do to prevent this global warming, because it'll be "too late' by the time we all decide to cooperate and implement whatever plan works. Too many conflicting interests among countries.

Yeah, this is all from my comparative/internatinoal politics course. -_- we keep talking about countries and reasons why things just. Don't. Work. Between countries, haha.
moonlitestar
Manticore Squad Leader

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Sat 26. Jan 2008, 11:10

"too late' by the time we all decide to cooperate and implement whatever plan works

of course it isn't to late!

conflicting interests among countries

not among countries but among A country and supranational companies.
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby hedghehog » Sat 26. Jan 2008, 13:54

gtf_dean_fenech wrote:not among countries but among A country and supranational companies.

deep man :shock: very deep.Speak the truth :nation:
"We all have time machines.The ones that take us back are called memories and the ones that take us forward are called dreams."

hedghehog
Transhuman

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Sat 26. Jan 2008, 13:58

the thing is its not a specific country thats the problem but the way these surpanational companies run these companies... you know like Shell, General eletric... all these companies RUN countries to a certain extent, so if a country like the USA or Brittan have close ties with these supranational countries they will not take part of trying to improve our environment (brittain is part of the kyoto Protocol-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Protocol) because it will be against the interest of these companies
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby hedghehog » Sat 26. Jan 2008, 14:01

Logical :nation:
Speak some more truth we are behind you :group:
"We all have time machines.The ones that take us back are called memories and the ones that take us forward are called dreams."

hedghehog
Transhuman

Postby moonlitestar » Sat 26. Jan 2008, 17:38

true true. :D

companies have more influence than people give credit. businesses play a huge role in why the Us hasn't entered the kyoto protocol. and i doubt it'll be resolved soon.
moonlitestar
Manticore Squad Leader

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Sun 27. Jan 2008, 00:38

play a huge role in why the Us hasn't entered the kyoto protocol.

thats my whole point, its not the USA's fault to a certain extent but the componies's fault.
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby moonlitestar » Wed 26. Mar 2008, 00:27

For anyone who's interested in reading my paper, it's here:

Very short, probably under 500 words.

Science Fiction Report: Dark Angel (TV Series)

The TV series Dark Angel starts off on a wintry day in Gillette, Wyoming. Snow covers the ground, and it is a relatively peaceful night. The music picks up and suddenly a child bursts through the trees, wearing a simple hospital gown. As she pauses to rest behind a tree, the camera zooms in on her shaven head and the barcode on the back of her neck. Motors sound in the distance, and soldiers are seen boarding snowmobiles to chase these children. As we switch back to the nine-year-old child, the scene fades like a memory of the past. It's ten years later, and it is revealed that the child was Max. The year is 2019, and Max is now living in the post-apocalyptic city of Seattle, Washington. She explains she was a genetically engineered soldier made a covert military lab through a government project known as Project Manticore. Shortly after her escape, terrorists set off an electronic magnetic pulse (EMP) near the US Atlantic Coast, frying most computer systems and sending the country into chaos. Money stored in bank accounts was lost from the attack, and America became a Third World nation overnight, which made it easy for Max to disappear. The first season is primarily about her search for her eleven brothers and sisters that escaped with her that night, while evading her Manticore captors who seek to recapture, reprogram, and retrain all escapees.

The world of Dark Angel explores both the advantages and disadvantages of advanced technology, primarily from Max's view. Although the majority of Americans are poor and corruption runs rampant, technology continues to flourish and advance, accessible to those with money. Unfortunately, the majority seen capable of investing in these new technologies use them for intentions that do not help the people, but instead further their own personal agendas, occasionally at the cost of human life. Although Dark Angel provided many examples of how technology impacted the depressed cities in this third world America, this paper will focus on Project Manticore, which was established in the name of national security. Their goal was to build a few soldiers that could take the place of a thousand, reducing the overall costs of military operations. Those who escaped with Max that night became proof of their success, as well as their failure. The soldiers produced at Manticore were meant to obey orders. They were brainwashed and trained to be drones capable of completing nearly any task and becoming anyone to complete a mission. They were not meant to feel. As a test tube product, they were not considered human, merely R&D. This gave Manticore the capability to conduct untraceable assassinations and deadly military operations against their adversaries, which they did. If truly done for national security purposes, it can be argued that Manticore positively impacted society – but this wasn't quite the case. Some targets were political opponents, while others were troublesome investors who threatened to reveal Manticore's secrets. Innocents died in the process, and Manticore took little precaution to provide a less tragic outcome. Manticore abused their power and technology, killing innocents in the process.

As a genetically engineered soldier in a new broken world, Max is portrayed as the heroine, looking out for her friends and bringing down the bad guys. In this regard, Manticore technology not under their control actually impacts society in a positive manner. In spite of this, there are exceptions, as seen in one episode where she is led to another escapee through a series of murders. The victims had been “signed” with her brother Ben's barcode, and it was later revealed that he was indeed the killer. Living on the outside, away from the structured environment Manticore provided, was too much for him. So he continued his training and did what he knew how to do – kill. With a trained killer on the loose, the world became a more dangerous place. Again, innocent lives were lost. Even though this was the case for only one of the twelve that escaped, it still raises the question on whether or not developing such skilled soldiers is worth this costly impact it has on society.

The creators of Dark Angel present Manticore as the ultimate evil entity the escapees constantly evaded. Manticore experimented on these children and strictly enforced military discipline upon them. Minor infractions were punished severely, and although the children could kill their instructors in a blink of an eye, they were too scared. Manticore technology was completely under control, at least until the escape. Although these escapees had their flaws, as seen with Ben, the majority did their best to blend into society and stay out of trouble. Some, like Max, even brought justice to the criminals. With each new episode, Max continued to right society's many wrongs, winning her admiration and sympathy for each new villain brought to justice. After all, she did not choose to be a genetically engineered soldier – she was made and had no choice. Although Manticore holds the power to control these soldiers, seeing these soldiers returned to Manticore, as Max is at the end of the first season, becomes a tragedy. Manticore does not use this technology for the good of society, but instead exploit them for their own selfish purposes. Thus, the producers of Dark Angel present an interesting twist with regards to advanced technology: given free range, the best of technology with regards to its impact on society can be achieved, but control and restraint will lead to the exploitation of advanced technology.

Although these escaped soldiers are capable of doing great harm to the public, they exhibit human traits and know how to distinguish right from wrong. They care about the people around them, just like a person would. As a result, I do sympathize with these escapees and detest Manticore for its actions and what it represents, but I also recognize that if such technology were to exist, the results could be much more tragic. Instead of one brother that went on a killing spree, imagine the whole dozen. Imagine a Manticore incapable of preventing these killings and catching their runaways. Of course, this is suggesting an extreme. It's quite possible these soldiers all end up doing humanitarian tasks and saving the world. The creators of Dark Angel found a nice balance, showing both the positive and negative effects of such technology. It is clear that such technology should not be developed unless strong safety precautions are in place. Even then, will the benefits outweigh the risks? I do not believe so. Such technology is too dangerous to experiment with, and nothing should ever be worth the risks presented in Dark Angel.
moonlitestar
Manticore Squad Leader

Postby Laura » Wed 26. Mar 2008, 13:01

Wow, it's really nice MLS!!
Well done ;)

They designed her to be the perfect soldier, a human weapon, than she escaped. In a future not far from now, in a broken world, she is haunted by her past. She cannot run, she must fight to discover her destiny.
Laura
Network Moderator

Postby Rayne » Wed 26. Mar 2008, 20:21

As long as humans are involved.. there will always be war; death and destruction..
As long as we live, the Earth will never be healthy.
Rayne
Jam Pony Messenger

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Wed 26. Mar 2008, 23:00

thats a very grim way of lokking at it.
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby moonlitestar » Thu 27. Mar 2008, 03:33

perhaps, haha but i don't think there really will be peace either...it'll always be in brief spurts. then we'll go back to conflict. that's just the way we are...

good for me tho if i go into international affairs - always will have a job! haha...
moonlitestar
Manticore Squad Leader

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Thu 27. Mar 2008, 16:09

good for me tho if i go into international affairs - always will have a job! haha...

and theres nothing self serving in that scenario. In times of war, there's always somebody who gains from it.
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby moonlitestar » Fri 28. Mar 2008, 13:40

hahaha.

people start wars generally thinking they can gain from it. left with no alternative, the costs of war outweigh the alternative.
moonlitestar
Manticore Squad Leader

Previous

Return to General Things