ethic/social implications of Dark Angel

All things which do not fit into other areas.

Moderators: Serenity, Laura

ethic/social implications of Dark Angel

Postby moonlitestar » Sat 19. Jan 2008, 18:49

So, in one of my computer science classes, we have to write a paper on a science fiction short story or movie. I'm going to ask if Dark angel is ok, haha. We have to comment on the good and bad things of technology by using the piece we choose as examples. :D

Doing dark angel will be soooo fun! lol there's too much to talk about...It only needs to be five pages long too...I'm sure I could write at least 20...O:-) but I"m looking forward to that paper, permitting I CAN do Dark Angel......

still, if anyone wants to start commenting on and social and ethical issues related to dark angel to be included, i think it would also make an interesting discussion topic. :D and help me brainstorm...:P

but im more interested in discussing this topic...

Clearly, the concept of transgenics is a very controversial topic. Would you want the government experimenting on genetically enhanced beings (whether they be humans or nomolies; does it matter if it's human or nomolies?) for the 'good of the nation'? What about cyborgs, for people like zack?

and of course,there's stuff like the EMPs that sent america into its third world state...

so many things (heh most likely will stick with first season...second season was just...unreasonably too...strange. although sci fi, its unrealistic with those creepy cults!)

anyway, thoughts appreciated. :)
moonlitestar
Manticore Squad Leader

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Sat 19. Jan 2008, 19:05

well cheak the dvd special features (i think season 1), James Cameron speaks heavily about this. Infact most of his movies speak about this.

when is it due? cause i have sociology at uni, and i can look up some theries for you if you like.
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby hedghehog » Sat 19. Jan 2008, 19:40

Just focus on the good side like not sending your brothers and sisters in combat but some genetically enhanced killing machine,and that transgenics can prove to be resistant to many diseases,and than say:"but wait...are they emotional begins,do they fell pain,fear...."you know more human aspect but you probably know that LOL^^
"We all have time machines.The ones that take us back are called memories and the ones that take us forward are called dreams."

hedghehog
Transhuman

Postby moonlitestar » Sat 19. Jan 2008, 22:35

@dean: thanks dean, but no need. I don't think it has to be THAT good of a paper to incoporate sociology theories. :D Its for a computer science class. heh. we're not philosphers ;) As for the special features, I'll be sure to check it out...I hope I burned that section into my harddrive...:S otherwise I have no means of accessing it.

@hedghehog: heh, good point - if we're friends with the transgenics, then it's not any better than sending a brother or sis to war...but what if the transgenics are like the nomolies?
moonlitestar
Manticore Squad Leader

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Sat 19. Jan 2008, 22:40

but what if the transgenics are like the nomolies?

well i'll answer that question with a little example: What would you do if you have a child and its physically or mentally disabled?.... hmmm... something to think about ey.

and @ moonlitestar, the door is always open if you need help.

and just for the record... i'm not a philospher either (and never call a sociologist a philosphers, thats like calling a jew, a christian and a muslum the same just because they believe in 1 God)
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby Chrisisall » Tue 22. Jan 2008, 18:00

I think DA removed the idea that civilization is safe from collapse....

Pulseisall
They used to say one nuclear bomb can ruin your whole day...
Chrisisall
Manticore Soldier

Postby hedghehog » Tue 22. Jan 2008, 20:36

good point,civilization is never safe from collapse as long as humans run it.
"We all have time machines.The ones that take us back are called memories and the ones that take us forward are called dreams."

hedghehog
Transhuman

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Wed 23. Jan 2008, 00:43

good point,civilization is never safe from collapse as long as humans run it.

hail the rise of the machines
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby moonlitestar » Wed 23. Jan 2008, 02:05

heh, sorry. didn't mean to imply sociologists are the same as philosophers! I know they're completely different. Bad choice of words on my part. I just meant that it doesn't have to be really developed and supported, since we're computer scientists. of course...im also a social scientist/political scientist in all my other international affairs courses so I'll have to use those theories in support of it. Since I can be lazy in this class...totally plan to be, haha. I need to save my creativity for my other classes!

machines aren't always successful either! think of transformers, lol. Their civilization also went to ruins! which is why they invaded earth haha.
moonlitestar
Manticore Squad Leader

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Wed 23. Jan 2008, 11:45

think of terminator or i robot
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby hedghehog » Wed 23. Jan 2008, 17:25

to hell with machines they got no emotions or fell happy(or sad)when they do somethin(unlike me look ^^ happy).I didnt say that civilization lead by humans will collapse just that it is never safe from collapsing.

hedghehog
Transhuman

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Wed 23. Jan 2008, 17:29

you're right.
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby moonlitestar » Thu 24. Jan 2008, 03:01

true true. all great civilizations eventually fall....

isn't that a horrific idea...wonder how long we'll last, hah.
moonlitestar
Manticore Squad Leader

Postby cazpotato » Thu 24. Jan 2008, 08:22

I give us 10-20 years before a nuclear war of some such.
cazpotato
Manticore Soldier

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Thu 24. Jan 2008, 12:00

not nuclear war, its gotta be some kind of natural disaster. something with global warming, depleation of water, oil, something like that.
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Next

Return to General Things