How much is science and how much is fiction?

All things which do not fit into other areas.

Moderators: Serenity, Laura

Postby moonlitestar » Sun 3. Feb 2008, 05:54

because we're bored of the world we live in and want something new. we're always looking for change, because we don't like monotony. cus we're human. ;) simple as that! lol

if only life were really that simple...
moonlitestar
Manticore Squad Leader

Postby x5-456 » Mon 4. Feb 2008, 02:41

I'd Argue theres more to it then that. It would seem to me that if people were just bored with life theyd want something better not worse. Scarcity, starvation, and societal regression hardly seem something to strive for unless there was more to it
x5-456
Sector Cop

Postby moonlitestar » Mon 4. Feb 2008, 03:45

Well, I was replying to your why we seek change question. Change being both good and bad.

Although I'm not really sure what your question is now haha. Are you referring to why people like the setting proposed by Dark angel, with the US becoming a third world nation, etc? Or why poor countries remain poor? or..?

I don't think we ever /want/ anything bad, but we can't predict what will happen. When we make our decisions, we always expect that it'll be the best decision of all the decisions available. Sometimes the consequences are just overlooked or never really come to mind. '

As for what's appealing about Dark Angel's post-apocalyptic setting - it's seeing that in spite of tragedy, mankind continues to flourish. It's the fact that when faced with hardship, we can still find a way to survive. But people like Dark Angel for more than that, of course. There's the drama, the sci fi, the action, etc. ;)

As for countries remaining poor - we're actually discussing this in my comparative politics course....and there are too many factors that contribute to this, whether it be self-interest of leaders, resulting in corruption, limited resources, internal conflicts among ethnic groups, etc. Even the solutions have their disadvantages, and no one has yet to find a "perfect" solution to help these countries. I can't believe I'm just reciting what I've 'learned'.
moonlitestar
Manticore Squad Leader

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Fri 15. Feb 2008, 01:27

look what i found on youtube... something about a "special" breading "cult" -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmkj5gq1cQU
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby hedghehog » Fri 15. Feb 2008, 17:57

now thats funny the Cow LOL looks just funny,but it also means that thing like familiars and Crimson Rivers could exist
"We all have time machines.The ones that take us back are called memories and the ones that take us forward are called dreams."

hedghehog
Transhuman

Postby Saahm23 » Sun 17. Feb 2008, 16:15

Holy crap :shock: i've never saw a massiv bull like this. That's crazy. But it proves that this "selection" system works. Thxs for posting dean.
Saahm23
Network Admin

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Mon 18. Feb 2008, 22:02

so another video that proves that a dark angel world is right around the corner (you can skip the first 13 minutes, its not really very dark angelish)

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/ted-con ... -video.htm
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby rantanplan » Thu 21. Feb 2008, 13:12

i 'm so sorry to can't understand one word... .

It's about what subject which is speaking about in DA ?

bye!

ps : in the list of link in the video, we can find information about the canondale, the bike used by max! lol http://videos.howstuffworks.com/howstuf ... -video.htm

bye!
rantanplan
X2

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Wed 28. May 2008, 17:31

Look what i found about special breading hybrids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyYcTMZKRbg
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby rantanplan » Sun 1. Jun 2008, 16:10

i can't understand one word on this video. But i think understand that stalline wanted creat super soldier, with hybrid between human and animal, isn't it ?
And about this guy in the circus, why is he like that ?

for the rest, i don't understand.. .. if somebody could give me a summary of the differents subject on the videos, it would be good for me.
Thanks for that, if somebody can do that :)... .
(and thanks for the videos, dean).

bye!
rantanplan
X2

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Sun 1. Jun 2008, 16:11

i can't understand one word on this video. But i think understand that stalline wanted creat super soldier, with hybrid between human and animal, isn't it ?

yes, a cross between a man and an ape

And about this guy in the circus, why is he like that ?

its a sickness
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby x5-456 » Mon 2. Jun 2008, 17:58

couple funny things have popped up since I posted last. 1) the australian government has approved a law allowing scientists to create Human Animal Chimeras. They're SUPPOSED to off em after 14 days , but we all know that its not going to happen that way.

Another interesting one thats come up (that isn't new news but newly discovered to me) is that both the Japanese and the US government are working on something akin to a mech suit. The japanese version is called h.a.l. (you can search it on youtube). keeping up wtih appearances the u.s. suit is large and chunky , and not very portable. The japanese suit is a very slim exoskeleton allowing increased movement. w00t iron man..

Selective breeding has been around forever and a day, interesting though none the less
x5-456
Sector Cop

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Mon 2. Jun 2008, 20:24

They're SUPPOSED to off em after 14 days , but we all know that its not going to happen that way

theyn already do that in some other country according to that documentary that i posted the first part of, but i forget which one
The japanese version is called h.a.l. (you can search it on youtube). keeping up wtih appearances the u.s. suit is large and chunky , and not very portable. The japanese suit is a very slim exoskeleton allowing increased movement. w00t iron man..

thats OLD news, thats been around for a while... if not from the time that DA was made.
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby rantanplan » Sat 5. Jul 2008, 03:22

a sickness ? ok... .
So strange... . He could cut all this hairs, no? (right that he win his life with :) ).

human-gap soldiers!!! my god, some of my friends are escaped of the test-laboratorie lol. Strange idea... . And do you know what happens ?

autralian will probably do an error... . it's an open door for deriv... . And they tell they decide that for find cure, no?

About HAL, it's like logan's one in the show, but for all the body, not only legs :).
And i think it's the american work on this suit who give idea to scenarist for logan... .

Selective breeding has been around forever and a day, interesting though none the less

During the 2nd world war, nazzis have tried, for obtain a superiors quality of human, better physically and mentally.
I've learnt that all their tentative have benn some failure, because when they choose breeding partnairs sportmans and intelligents, they obtain only a result like all another human, not a great human like they was thinking... .

And the thing i don't understand is that we continue to use "breeding partnairs" for animals, for obtain more strongers, more resistants, and bigger animals, for have the best.
So why this processus is used on animals, and it seems not workable with humans. (Or maybe they tell me falses informations... .).

dean : i think it's in GB. If my memorie is ok.

thats OLD news, thats been around for a while... if not from the time that DA was made.

right. But a technology which can help people to walk is a story to purchase :).

bye!
rantanplan
X2

Science behind Dark Angel

Postby X5DNA » Tue 26. Aug 2008, 07:12

I have always been impressed by the accuracy of much of the science in Dark Angel. Those who are interested in the science behind Dark Angel may be interested in my web page at:

http://www.X5DNA.com

I try to keep it as up-to-date as possible, but progress is science is moving at an ever-accelerating pace. I've got as many links as possible to other relevant sources of information.

Jerry
X5DNA
Sector Cop

PreviousNext

Return to General Things